Saturday, June 30, 2012

Reno & Decor Can Kill


I just realised that renovation does cost a bomb! Like, a huge C-4 bomb to your money coffer . if you intend to have the modern chic look, as though a designer himself has put some touch to your home, be prepare to fork out a big lump sum.



Nowadays we see magazines showing how to decorate your house depending what mood you want to set it to be: modern, retro, feminine, you name it. And it always looked so nice from the glossy page isn’t it? It makes you yearn for something similar too isn’t? I know I do.



Apart from going through magazines and numerous googling session, I finally understand that it is not easy to build your “dream home”. Unless you have a plush bed of cash waiting at your beck of call. It is definitely not likely, if you have a budget to adhered to.



Let me break down to you my result of early research into reno & décor:



Bathroom

If you were thinking to get a chic modern bathroom (think white small cabinet with small white porcelain sink, white toilet bowl & mirror) that will easily set you AT LEAST RM2k back. Oh, I haven’t even look at the bathtub price.



Now think again if you have two or three toilet that you want to renovate. Naturally you can change the faucet design to any other that they have, but that too is a cost, mind you.



Kitchen

Don’t you think range cooker is all in the rage nowadays? I do. In fact, after having been using it for quite some time in oversea, I came to adore it. I was thinking of getting one, but then when I take a look at the price, I almost had a heart palpitation. A range cooker with hood can easily set you RM6k back. And I am looking at the cheapest here.



My colleague told me, the metal sink with two partition for washing costed her RM600!



Now, I haven’t even been checking out the price for custom made kitchen furniture yet. You know, those cabinet doors that don’t bang upon closing, Chic modern design with the colour of your choice. But I was told, be prepare to fork out twenty grand for it. Again, my blood pressure shoot up like the geyser.



Electrician and plumbing work will cost about RM4k.



Retiling

Let’s say you bought a pre-owned house and you hated the sight of the floor tiles. After all, big tiles is in the rage now as compared to small tiles. A quick quotation told me it will cost approximate RM7-8k.



I forgot how much it cost for a build in wardrobe though. I guess my mind starts go hazy after seeing all the cost involved just to decorate a place to call home.



Furniture

A simple 3 Seater sofa cost about RM2-5k (depending on the brand & design, material: fabric? genuine leather? bycast leather?)

A bed frame with a relatively good mattress cost about RM2-5k too, depending on the brand,size, thickness etc.

Nightstands, cabinets are not that costly, but it will probably cost you about RM1k?



Oh did I mentioned, the above cost is only for a tiny condo? I shudder to think of those Semi-Ds.



Initially, I was dreaming of getting a custom made shoe rack and a daybed. But now I have soberly shelf it to the back of my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's y my house is sooo empty =) by Pretty grace