Friday, April 13, 2012

Mind your own language

Sitting here alone in my office, listening to my colleagues talking…suddenly a thought popped into my head.

Through their conversation, I unconsciously picked up some discreet hidden agenda. The more I listen to it, the more prominent these hidden agenda stare right back at me.

I am sure it is not intentionally made. Perhaps they just think this is really funny and all, but somehow, I find it rather insensitive rather than funny.

So what do you think I’ve picked up indirectly?

Language.

Truth to be told, most of my colleagues hailed from Chinese education background. Except yours truly. And someone else.

Recently, I’ve heard quite a lot of remarks and jokes aimed at the “somebody” over his language handicap. How they made fun of him and how he might screw up due to improper usage of Chinese words that may be interpreted wrongly and offend potential customers.

Thing is, “somebody” will be going to a place filled with Chinese community and our colleagues here were making jokes over his handicap.

I’m sure they find it funny and harmless. Perhaps, it really is harmless.

But why do I feel so ill at ease?

Personally, I don’t agree with them. I mean, yes I understand that Chinese language is very important today and it is more and more in demand. However, that doesn’t mean English is not EQUALLY important right?

What I don’t understand is how people can go on and on and on.. campaigning on the importance of Chinese language, yet they overlooked/ignored English Language.

Why is it that some people looked down on “banana” people (people that don’t read their own mother tongue) and think that we’ve missed the world?

On the other hand, we have never looked down on people that can’t string a proper English sentence. Have I looked down on people like them?

No I haven’t!

I have not laughed at them or belittled them at all. I certainly don’t think they’ve missed the world!!??

So why is it that you can only master ONE Chinese language and we can’t master only ONE English language?

Just because English is not the language our forefathers speak?

Oh come on!

Grow up please!!!!

FYI: I have the utmost respect for people that can speak both language fluently. I have many such friends and I am proud of them for not belittling either one party that speak only one language fluently.

Kudos to them!

2 comments:

idyllrain said...

I get this all the time. This is compounded by the fact that I actually attended Chinese schools all my life!

Shenny Lee said...

ppl just can't seems to let it go, ain't it? sigh...