Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Opotiki: Part 1

We stopped at Whakatane for just a day or two. Then we head further down to another smaller town: Opotiki.

Opotiki is so small a town that everyone practically knows everyone else’s business. It’s practically only few rows of shops in the town and that’s about it. It’s charming though how such small town is self sufficient. You’ll have almost everything you need here so you don’t have to go elsewhere. Almost.

Except the fact that we are Asian and we loved our Asian food the most, so we kinda lack of certain Chinese seasonings here in Opotiki supermarket, New World. Having said that, it’s still not bad here but of course as it is a small town, not much choices is available but heck, beggar can’t be chooser!

Personally, I don’t think New World is all that cheap as I kinda prefer Countdown. However, Opotiki only have New World and 4Square… so I guess it’s the lesser devil we know!

We spent the first week in a backpacker here; Central Oasis. It’s relatively cheaper compared to Auckland and Whakatane and they have “special price” for weekly rate. Maybe it’s because it’s a small town hence the rate is cheaper but it’s good news no?

The people at Central Oasis are very nice and friendly. In fact, we met a few nice people that stayed there too. In between dinners, we managed to get a few pointers and tips from them. From them I realized that many people in the world do travel around the world just like that. Like me, everyone put their life, career, family etc on hold and go explore the world. Some came from as far as Austria and Italy.

Opotiki is very near the beach therefore on our free days, we go explored the nearby attraction. We went to Snell Beach, Waiotahi Beach and also Ohiwa Beach. One of the things we realized here is that generally people don’t sell fishes here. Even if they do, it cost a bomb!

From the owner of the backpackers, we found out that people here normally catches their own fish. In fact, people here are so nice that if they caught more than they need, they will give away the rest to friends and neighbours. No money exchanged.

Sweet isn’t?

Godzilla was adamant wanted to try fishing but too bad we don’t have any fishing rod. Buying one would be ridiculous as its expensive and God! Where are we gonna store it? Our car is packed to the brim as it is already. Add more things? Oh NO! This is catastrophe man!

Frankly speaking, staying here in Central Oasis is not exactly the best I had experienced so far. However it is the only backpackers listed in BBH so… not exactly much choice for us. Our room is relatively bigger with 2 mini wardrobes for me and Twister. Dinosaur and Godzilla’s room is smaller but comfier, prettier.

Our room is located near the back of the house so not much sunlight can get it therefore personally I think the air smells a little musty. I can’t stand the odor therefore I ended up purchased a bottle of air freshener to “freshen” up the room. Apart from that, I accidently found out that the room is not very clean as near the bed headboard, there’s cobweb! GROSS to the max I tell you when my hand accidently touches it!

Err the pillow is damn thin and lumpy and I practically felt like I slept without one. Since our room is next to the owner’s kitchen, each night when I go bath I felt that my towel smells of cooking. Haiz

Again, this is just my personally opinion and experience. The rest of my friends doesn’t seems to be affected by it. Other than the few I have mentioned above, I don’t have much complain already.

Right at the garden of our backpacker, there’s an apple tree that grows full of apples. In fact apples practically dropped to the ground everywhere and no one picks it up. Finally the owner picks it up and offers it to all.

Apples for FREEEEEEEE~~~~~ wee~~~

No comments: